Call for a Free Consultation 206-829-8415

How do I restore my federal firearm rights?

Unlike in Washington, there is no separate restoration procedure under federal law.

Therefore, the dispositive question is whether your federal firearm ban is based upon a Washington state conviction.

Does Washington's restoration procedure allow you to possess firearms under federal law?

Yes ... if you have a Washington State conviction  

Under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20), whether you have a "conviction" for federal purposes of a federal gun ban is determined by "the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held."

That is, if your federal firearm ban is based upon a Washington State conviction, then you can lift your felony ban through Washington's restoration procedure in state court.

No ... if you have a federal conviction

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a state restoration procedure does not remove a federal firearm ban if the ban arose from a federal felony conviction (i.e. a conviction in federal court).  

Your only option is to apply for a presidential pardon, which is rarely if ever granted.  

Free Consultation

Contact us for a free consultation. We are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays.

2200 6th Avenue
Suite 806

Seattle, WA 98121
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun: 08:00am - 06:00pm