Call for a Case Review 206-829-8415

Thurston County Firearms Restoration Attorney

Here is the typical procedure for filing a motion to restore your Washington State firearm rights in Thurston County. 

Step #1: File Your Motion

To restore your gun rights, you have to file your motion in Thurston County Superior Court. Only superior court judges have the authority to decide firearm restoration motions.

You cannot file your motion in Thurston County District Court or a local municipal court such as Olympia Municipal Court.  If you do this, these courts will automatically reject your motion and you'll have to start over in superior court.

In Thurston County, you can file your motion by mail but e-filing is also allowed.  To file electronically, you will have to register with the Thurston County Clerk and create an online account.  

Step #2: Get Your Case Number

Once the court receives your motion, the clerk's office will process your paperwork and assign you a case number.  The clerk's office will then mail you a conformed copy of your motion.  (A conformed copy means a copy of the motion you filed, now with the assigned case number). 

This process takes about 1-2 weeks. 

If you file electronically, however, you will receive your case number from the clerk's office in about 24 hours.  

If you make any mistakes in the filing process, the clerk's office will return your documents to you, with instructions.

You must have an assigned case number to schedule your case for a hearing. 

Step #3:  Serve the Prosecutor's Office

You are required to serve a copy of your motion on the Thurston County Prosecutor's Office, which will review your file and determine whether you're eligible.

You will need to provide the following documents for the prosecutor's review:

  • Copy of your Motion
  • Signed declaration: This document certifies that you meet the requirements for restoring under firearm rights under RCW 9.41.040(4).  You must sign this document under penalty of perjury.
  • Proposed Order: This is the most important document—the document that you're hoping the Court will sign, restoring your firearm rights.  If you prepare it correctly—and it meets the prosecutors' approval—the Court will likely sign the document as is. 

Without these forms, the prosecutor will not review your motion.  

If prosecutors agree that you are eligible, then you are in very good shape.  Although a judge is not required to order firearms restoration if both sides agree, it's extremely rare. 

If prosecutors object, they will typically file a written objection with the Court.  Just because the prosecutors object does not mean that you won't win your motion, but you'll need to address their argument in court. 

FAQ: Thurston County Firearms Restoration

Can I file my firearms restoration motion in Thurston County? Court?

You can file your motion in Thurston County if one of the following applies:

  1. You are a resident of Thurston County
  2. You live outside Thurston County but Thurston County Superior Court terminated your right to possess firearms as a result of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor convictions.

Example: You live in Walla Walla but you were convicted of a felony drug offense in Olympia when you were younger.  You can file your motion in Thurston County Superior Court because the superior court terminated your firearm rights.

Where is Thurston County Superior Court located?

The courthouse address is:

Thurston County Superior Court

2000 Lakeridge Drive SW Bldg 3

Olympia, WA 98502

Phone: 360-786-5560

Case Review

Contact us for a Case Review. We are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays.

Seattle Location
206.829.8545 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sat: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sun: 08:00am - 06:00pm