Call for a Case Review 206-829-8415

Yakima County Firearms Restoration Lawyer

Here is the typical procedure for filing your firearm restoration motion in Yakima County.

Step #1: File the Motion

You have to file your motion in the Yakima County Superior Court.  Only superior court judges have the authority to hear motions to restore your firearms rights.

Do not file your motion in Yakima County District Court or a local municipal court, such as Selah Municipal Court or Sunnyside Municipal Court.  These courts will automatically reject your motion and you'll have to start over in superior court.

You have to file your motion by mail.  Electronic filing is not an option in Yakima.

Mail a copy of your motion along with a check for the required $240 filing fee.

Step #2: Get Your Case Number

Once the court receives your motion, the clerk's office will process your paperwork and assign you case a case number.  The clerk's office will then mail you a conformed copy of your motion.  (A conformed copy means a copy of the motion you filed, now with the assigned case number). 

This process takes about 1-2 weeks. 

Step #3: Request a Hearing

Filing your case doesn't automatically get your motion heard in front of judge.  To do that.  You have to schedule a hearing.

The Court hears firearms restorations motions on the Community Motions calendar on Fridays at 1:30 pm. 

Step #4:  Serve the Prosecutor's Office

You are required to serve a copy of your motion on the Yakima County Prosecutor's Office, which will review your file and determine whether you're eligible.

If prosecutors agree that you are eligible, then you are in very good shape.  Although a judge is not required to order firearms restoration if both sides agree, it's rare. 

If prosecutors object, they will typically file a written objection with the Court.  Just because the prosecutors object does not mean that you won't win your motion, but you'll need to address their argument in court. 

FAQ: Yakima County Firearms Restoration

Can I file a firearms restoration motion in Yakima County Superior Court?

You can file your motion in Yakima County if one of the following applies:

  1. You are a resident of Yakima County
  2. You live outside Yakima County but Yakima County Superior Court terminated your right to possess firearms as a result of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor conviction

Example:  You live in Seattle but you were convicted of a felony drug offense in Selah when you were younger.  You can file your motion in Yakima County Superior Court because the superior court terminated your firearm rights.

Where is Yakima County Superior Court located?

The courthouse address is:

Yakima County Superior Court

128 N. 2nd Street, Room 323

Yakima, WA 98901

Phone: 509-574-1430

How can I contact the Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney?

Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

128 N. 2nd Street

Yakima, WA 98901

Phone: 509-574-1210

Case Review

Contact us for a Case Review. We are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays.

Seattle Location
206.829.8545 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sat: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sun: 08:00am - 06:00pm