Call for a Case Review 206-829-8415

King County Firearms Restoration Lawyer

Here is the basic procedure for filing a motion to restore your firearms in King County. 

Step #1: File Your Motion

You have to file your motion in King County Superior Court.

Do not file your motion in the district court or a local municipal court, such as Seattle Municipal Court.  Your motions will get rejected and you'll have to start all over again.

In King County, you can either file electronically or file by mail.

A. Filing Electronically   

To E-file in King County Superior Court, click on this link to start the process.

If this is your first time E-Filing, you will need to click on the "Create User ID" link and follow the steps for creating an account and getting a password.

Once you're registered, log in and start a new case.  To file, you need must upload a PDF copy of your motion and pay the required $240 filing fee via credit or debt card.  (You'll also have to pay a $2.49 e-processing fee).  

If you can, E-filing is simple and efficient, and I highly recommend it over filing by mail.  

B. Filing By Mail

If you don't have access to the Internet, or you prefer to file by mail, take the following steps.

You mail a copy of your motion and a check for the $240 filing fee to the King County Superior Court.  The Court has two geographical divisions:  

Seattle Location: King County Courthouse, 516 Third Avenue, Room E-609, Seattle, WA 98104

Kent Location: Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center, 401 Fourth Avenue N, Room 2C, Kent, WA 98032

Step #2:  Get your Case Number

If you file electronically, you will immediately receive your case number (one of the benefits of e-filing).

If you file by mail, you will receive a case number by mail.

Step #3:  Get a Hearing

Filing your case won't get your motion heard in Court.  You have to schedule your case for a hearing.

To get a hearing, you have to file the following documents with the Court (either e-filing or by mail):  

  1. Notice of Motion.  This document tells the Court that you want a hearing date and when you want it.  
  2. Motion to Restore Firearms.  This is the document you initially filed with the clerk's office, but now you must add the case number that you received via email.  
  3. Declaration.  This document confirms that you meet the requirements for restoring your firearm rights in Washington.  
  4. Proposed Order.  This is the document the court will hopefully sign

Step #4:  Serve the Prosecutor's Office

The King County Prosecutor's office will review your motion and supporting documents to determine whether you are eligible for restoration.  

If you are eligible, they will agree to your motion. If not, they will object and file a written response. 

FAQ: King County Firearms Restoration

1. Who can file a firearms restoration motion in King County?

You can file your case in King County if:

A. You live in King County

B. You live outside King County but King County Superior Court terminated your right to possess or own firearms as a result of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor conviction.  

2. How much do you charge to handle King County cases?

We typically charge $1,500 to file a firearms restoration motion in King County.  We may charge more, however. if you have a criminal record outside Washington, because we may have to obtain the documents from the out-of-state court.  

Case Review

Contact us for a Case Review. We are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays.

Seattle Location
206.829.8545 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sat: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sun: 08:00am - 06:00pm