Call for a Case Review 206-829-8415

Spokane County Firearms Restoration Attorney

Here is the typical procedure for filing your firearm restoration motion in Spokane County.

Step #1: File the Motion

You have to file your motion in the Spokane County Superior Court.  Only superior court judges have the authority to hear motions to restore your firearms rights.

Do not file your motion in Spokane County District Court or a local municipal court, such as Cheney or Spokane Municipal Court  These courts will automatically reject your motion and you'll have to start over in superior court.

You have to file your motion by mail.  Electronic filing is not an option in Spokane.

Mail a copy of your motion along with a check for the required $240 filing fee to the Spokane County Clerk's Office, 1116 W. Broadway Avenue, Room 300, Spokane, WA 99260. 

Step #2: Get Your Case Number

Once the court receives your motion, the clerk's office will process your paperwork and assign you case a case number.  The clerk's office will then mail you a conformed copy of your motion.  (A conformed copy means a copy of the motion you filed, now with the assigned case number). 

This process takes about 1-2 weeks. 

If you make any mistakes in the filing process, the clerk's office will return your documents to you, with instructions.

You must have an assigned case number to schedule your case for a hearing. 

Step #3:  Serve the Prosecutor's Office

You are required to serve a copy of your motion on the Spokane County Prosecutor's Office, which will review your file and determine whether you're eligible.

You will need to provide the following documents for the prosecutor's review:

  • Copy of your Motion
  • Signed declaration:  This document certifies that you meet the requirements for restoring under firearm rights under RCW 9.41.040(4).  You must sign this document under penalty of perjury.
  • Proposed Order:  This is the most important document—the document that you're hoping the Court will sign, restoring your firearm rights.  If you prepare it correctly—and it meets the prosecutors' approval—the Court will likely sign the document as is. 
  • WATCH Report:  You have to provide prosecutors with a copy of your Washington criminal record, which can be accessed online through the Washington State Patrol (WSP).  Keep in mind, however, that WSP only maintains your Washington criminal record.  If you have a criminal record outside Washington, you will need to contact each state and request a copy of your criminal history.

Without these forms, the prosecutor will not agree to your motion, and the Court is not going to sign any orders.

If prosecutors agree that you are eligible, then you are in very good shape.  Although a judge is not required to order firearms restoration if both sides agree, it's rare. 

If prosecutors object, they will typically file a written objection with the Court.  Just because the prosecutors object does not mean that you won't win your motion, but you'll need to address their argument in court. 

Step #4: Request a Hearing

Filing your case doesn't automatically get your motion heard in front of judge.  To do that.  You have to schedule a hearing.

To schedule a hearing, you have to contact the Civil Presiding Judge.  Currently that is Judge Harold D. Clarke III.  Your point of contact will be Judge Clark's Judicial Assistant (JA).  You can reach her at 509-477-5717. 

FAQ: Spokane County Firearms Restoration

Can I file a firearms restoration motion in Spokane County Superior Court?

You can file your motion in Spokane County if one of the following applies:

You are a resident of Spokane County

You live outside Spokane County but Spokane County Superior Court terminated your right to possess firearms as a result of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor conviction

Example:  You live in Everett but you were convicted of a felony drug offense in Cheney when you were younger.  You can file your motion in Superior County Superior Court because the superior court terminated your firearm rights.

Where is Spokane County Superior Court located?

The courthouse address is:

Spokane County Superior Court

1116 W. Broadway Avenue

Spokane, WA 99260

Phone: 509-477-5790

How can I contact the Spokane County Prosecuting Attorney?

Spokane County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

1100 W. Mallon

Spokane, WA 99260

Phone: 509-477-3662

Fax: 509-477-3409

Case Review

Contact us for a Case Review. We are available 24/7, including weekends and holidays.

Seattle Location
206.829.8545 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sat: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Sun: 08:00am - 06:00pm